Monday, May 6, 2013

Just A House
















Here's a sample of some of my latest work! If you have any questions that aren't answered in the artist statement below, don't hesitate to leave a comment, and I'll be sure to get back to you.


My grandfather had a Polaroid 95. He kept it in an old leather box for decades, and as far as I was concerned, it was as old and useless as it looked. He gave it to me when I was 12, and I stashed it under my bed for 6 years until I brought it out this past fall. As I started to reflect on the last 6 years, the choice to make pictures with my family camera highlighted parallels in my work and life.

After my parents separated, the idea of a home becoming a house has been central to my life. All of a sudden I had what was supposed to feel like two homes, but one turned out to be just a house, while the other will always remain my childhood home. The house’s couches were too hard. The counters were missing my favorite snacks. The sheets didn’t feel like my own.

This work focuses on the idea of what a home means to the individual. The subjects are myself and my friends and who step in for me, saying what I did not have the courage to say about my relationship with my home. These photographs work to consider how I interact with my home, a place that holds memories, tension, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment