Friday, May 3, 2013

On Repeat: Changed by Rascal Flatts

So I kind of love country music. A friend of mine has family from the midwest, and the first time she played a country song for me, I begged her to turn it off. My best friend in high school was another huge country fan, so I really had no choice after a year or so, and fell in love with the guitar, southern twang, and all things Nashville. Country concerts are also some of my favorite big stadium shows. Something about thousands of people filling Gillette Stadium and singing along to Tim McGraw just feels right. 

Changed by Rascal Flatts is one of my new favorites. One of the biggest reasons I like country is how comfortable many country artists feel about sharing their faith and spiritual experiences in their rather mainstream music. That's not to say I don't like secular music or have anything against it, but as a Christian, it's nice to hear someone vocalize their journey in faith in a song that's playing on the radio. The opening lines of this song are my favorites:  

I came up, out of the water
Raised my hairs, up to the father
Gave it all to him that day
Felt a new wind kiss my face
Walked away, eyes wide open
Could finally see where I was going

The chorus then goes on to read:

I got off track, I made mistakes
Back slid my way into that place, where souls get lost
lines get crossed and the pain won't go away
I hit my knees, now here I stand
There I was, now here I am...
Here I am. Changed.

Leave a comment with your thoughts and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment