Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Recycle Your Wardrobe

Since I was in middle school and read an article in Seventeen Magazine on how to host a "clothing swap", other ways to recycle your wardrobe, and options for eco-friendly fashion, I've been determined to find a way to reduce my closet's carbon footprint. 


Denim shirt and purple wool skirt from Boomerangs

I grew up in a pretty artistic and "trendy" neighborhood in Boston, and I loved walking around and observing what my fellow Bostonians decided to wear that day. One day, I realized that so much of the grunge fashion I saw on my neighbors was from the thrift and vintage shops that lined the streets. I walked into one, Boomerangs, and immediately fell in love. Not only could I swim in all the new or gently-used clothes, but they were so inexpensive! I usually leave various thrift stores, after spending $20, with at least 5 items. Because the clothes used to belong to someone else, they're not making a big impact on the environment with every purchase. While some may be hesitant to take others clothes on as their own, I can assure you from personal experience that some of the my favorite items in my closet were gems found in thrift stores. 


Shirt from clothing swap in 2012

Clothing Swaps are also an awesome way to trade clothes and hang out with you friends! I have one at the end of every season, and it's a great way to reduce your closet's carbon footprint (or finally get your hands on your friend's sweater you've been lusting over). I have everyone bring a bag or two of clothes, jewelry, handbags, other accessories, etc. Then, we lay them out on separate tables, couches, or rugs and set up the room bazaar-style (yes, that is a thing). This way all your items are easily displayed and ready to be snagged. Just remember to invite people of all sizes so that everyone has clothes they can fit into. It's a super fun way to hang with your friends and get cute clothes in the process!



            Shirt from clothing swap in 2012
Finally, H&M has started a new initiative called "H&M Conscious" which works towards a more sustainable future for the fashion industry. It's simple: for every bag of clothes you bring to H&M to recycle, you'll receive a 15% off coupon for your next visit to the store. You can find out more information at www.hmconscious.com

Try these or other ways to be more green with your closet to ensure a better future for all fashion! Comment below with other ideas on how to save money or be more green with your style, clothing, or shopping lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment