Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Take on Pasta Carbonara


Today, I was hungry and wanted breakfast, lunch, and peas. So that's how this dish came up. I'd never really understood why pasta carbonara was served with an egg, but after my much needed brunch, my tummy and brain are both in agreement. It's a leftovers meal, so I wouldn't suggest making everything the same day. Enjoy!

Pasta Carbonara with Fried Egg

1 egg (fried sunny-side up)
1 tablespoon of frozen bacon fat (you could use butter, but we both know that's not the best option)
1/3 cup of cooked peas
2 slices of cooked bacon
1/2 cooked pasta
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Heat a small frying pan and melt half a tablespoon of bacon fat in the warm pan.

2. Crack your egg and fry it in the pan until the egg is white but yolk is still runny. Season to taste. Remove the egg from pan and set aside.

3. Add the other half a tablespoon of bacon fat to the pan and crumble the bacon into the pan (I was using day-old bacon, so I let it warm for a few seconds)

4. Add the cold, cooked pasta and peas to pan. Stir-fry the whole mix for a few minutes. The pasta should just slightly browned when you remove it from the pan.

5. If desired, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment